As we near the end of the week let’s take a look at today’s MLB trends & predictions. We’ve got some high octane games on the schedule today with some fantastic value. A new month has begun and October draws near. The hopes of many teams rest in their ability to achieve success down the stretch. With that being said let’s jump right in and take a look at today’s MLB trends & predictions.
Chicago White Sox vs New York Mets (August 1 – 14:05 EST)
Expected Pitchers: Dylan Cease (1-3, ERA: 6.86) vs Zack Wheeler (7-6, ERA: 4.71)
- The Mets are red hot as they boast a perfect record in their last 5 games.
- Wednesday’s deadline has passed and it looks like the Mets have decided to keep their strong pitching core intact. Wheeler earned 7 strikeouts in his last outing as he secured a win.
- The White Sox have a 1-4 record (20%) in their last 5 home matches. They also boast one of the worst records in their last 10 only winning 2 of those (20%).
- White Sox starting pitcher Dylan Cease has lost in his last three straight appearances to the Twins, Royals and Rays.
- The White Sox are also struggling offensively as they hold the third-worst batting percentage in the league.
OUR PICK: NEW YORK METS MONEYLINE
Cleveland Indians vs Houston Astros (August 1 – 19:10 EST)
Expected Pitchers: Danny Salazar (0-0, ERA: 0.00) vs Gerrit Cole (12-5, ERA: 2.94)
- Houston has won 3 out of the last 5 encounters against Cleveland.
- The Houston Astros have won 60% of their last 15 away games.
- Astros pitcher Gerrit Cole is red hot boasting an unbeaten streak in 12 starts. He picked up the win in his last start, which came Saturday on the road against the Cardinals.
- On the flip side of the pitching matchup, Danny Salazar is expected to make his first start in the majors since October 9th, 2017. He has been recovering from shoulder surgery and may need some time to shake the rust off.
- The Astros are 7-0 in their last 7 games during game 3 of a series.
OUR PICK: HOUSTON ASTROS MONEYLINE
St. Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs (August 1 – 19:15 EST)
Expected Pitchers: Jack Flaherty (4-6, ERA: 4.17) vs Jon Lester (9-6, ERA: 3.63)
- This series is an evenly contested matchup. As the third game of the series approaches, the teams split the first two games. The games ended 0-2 and 2-1 respectively. Much of the same can be expected tonight.
- The Chicago Cubs have the worst away record in the NL: 21-32 (39%).
- The Cardinals have an excellent record in their last 10 winning 7 of those games.
- The Cubs offence have not been firing on all cylinders lately as they are batting just .209 with 103 plate appearances heading into Thursday’s matchup.
- These teams are trending in opposite directions. After a shaky couple of months the Cardinals are riding the hot play of first baseman Paul Goldschmidt. Mix that in with Flaherty’s recent success and the Cubs’ struggles and this one is looking like a clear victory for the Cardinals.
OUR PICK: ST. LOUIS CARDINALS MONEYLINE